Wednesday, October 08, 2008



Grace - Thankful Thursday
“Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God.” ~ Romans 5:1-2 (ESV - emphasis Iris')

Oh, the precious gift of grace! I'm so thankful Iris chose this theme for Thankful Thursday. Hop on over to her blog to read her precious thoughts, and to visit other participants in this wonderful meme.

I wanted to do a quick word count on grace in my favorite versions of the Bible.
NIV - 124 times
KJV - 159 times
"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—" ~ Ephesians 2:8 (Emphasis, mine)
The transliterated word for grace is charis. From www.blueletterbible.org -
One of the definitions is of the merciful kindness by which God, exerting his holy influence upon souls, turns them to Christ, keeps, strengthens, increases them in Christian faith, knowledge, affection, and kindles them to the exercise of the Christian virtues.

What a beautiful word charis, or grace, is. It reminds me of our word "cherish". Oh, how I cherish grace. If God never blessed me with another single thing, my soul would be at rest because I know it is only by grace that I will spend eternity with Him in Heaven when my body leaves this earth. I am so thankful for God's precious gift, given through His Son! I pray that God's grace would abound in me strongly and extend outward through gifts to others.
God has truly blessed me this week.
Our grandson was born almost a month early on Monday afternoon at 3:20. He weighed in at a whopping 5 lbs., 9 oz. and is 19 3/4 inches long. Liam is a healthy baby boy with a voracious appetite and his lungs seem to be good and strong.
Kristyn is doing so much better than she did when she had Nolan 13 months ago. Her health is good and she did great through labor (she slept through most of it)! Nolan was (overall) a joy to keep during her labor on Monday and spent the night with us Monday night.
Our son-in-law is already a wonderful husband and father to Kristyn and Nolan and we trust he will be to Liam as well.
My husband is such a great husband, father and grandfather. He was a huge help Monday night with Nolan and he is taking good care of me (Nolan shared his cold with me. I thought he had a runny nose and low-grade fever because he was teething - silly me!)
My wife-in-law (my husband's ex-wife, Kristyn's mother) is a God-send. She helped me tremendously throughout the day Monday with Nolan. We would have never gotten through lunch at the cafeteria if not for her. I count Tabitha as a friend and was very comfortable having lunch with her and spending the day with her while Steve was at work. She is awesome in the baby-department, having 4 children of her own. She has raised 3 boys, ages 18, 12 and 9 and has lots of wisdom and knowledge to hand down to Kristyn as she starts anew with her family. I'm grateful for the work God has done in Tabitha's life, growing her into a godly woman and a wonderful mother to Kristyn and her own boys. She is a terrific grandmother and took Nolan Tuesday night, so I could go back to work today. Pray for her, that she doesn't get The Cold.
My father went back to the cardiologist for a check-up and has 2 more weeks to go before he can get back on his riding lawn mower. He just bought a new one and is impatient to check it out. In fact, I think he already has, but will heed the doctor's advice not to do it again for 2 weeks!
Work was easy to catch up to today because I work with such a great group of people. I'm thankful for my Work Family, as I call them. We are a close-knit bunch for the most part and work well together, picking up each others slack when needed.
I give each one of these blessings back in praise to God, from Whom all blessings and grace comes.
What are you thankful for this week? Visit Iris and count your blessings with us, won't you?

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laurie Ann,

This was a lovely post. I really enjoy your blog. I need to start a blog roll I guess, so yours will be one of my first additions. I'm joining the Thankful Thursday meme this week so I hope you'll be able to stop by for the very special story of my son's birth.

Blessings,
Susan

Denise said...

Bless you dear one, I love you my friend.

Addicted to Beadz said...

Laurie Ann,

I'm so thankful Liam and Mommy are doing good.

I bet you are a great grandmommy!

Congrats, my friend!

Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Laurie Ann, how are you? I hope things are going better for you since the last time we emailed each other. :-)

Praising God for your blessings this week. I love what you call dh's ex-wife. Very neat!

Mindy said...

It sounds like you had such a wonderful week. I so enjoy your positive, Grace-filled posts. : )

Debra Kaye said...

Laurie Ann,

Such a great TT post! Praising the Lord for baby Liam and his progress!

Blessings to you this grace filled day!

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Wow a month early! But healthy so that's a blessings. You have had a busy week my friend. Thanks for sharing your heart today.
Blessings to you!

Unknown said...

Laurie Ann,

What a beautiful list! Thank you for sharing more about the word grace. I too cherish the gift we have been given and if nothing else is ever given to me than I have more than enough. It is only by His grace that I stand, walk and am able to live this life He has asked of me to give back to Him.

In His amazing grace,
Jill

eph2810 said...

Congratulations on the newest addition to your family. I am glad to read that all went well and Liam is doing great.
How neat that you and your husband's ex-wife have such a great relationship.

Thank you so much for sharing your grateful heart with us.

Blessings to you and your precious family.

LAURIE said...

Laurie Ann, certainly the blessings abound around us but this week I am rejoicing with you of your new blessings! I am pleased that Mom and baby are doing fine and that your spiritual leading is fresh to them. Thanks for sharing your grateful heart with us! -Blessings, Laurie

Anonymous said...

Congratulations for that healthy baby! May the Lord bless you more :)

Melanie said...

Hey, Laurie Ann! What a great week you have had (well... maybe except for THE Cold.. lol)!

I'm so glad to hear the baby Liam and mommy are doing so well and that you had such a good time with Nolan when he visited. How great that you can have a comfortable relationship with Kristyn's mother.

Have a blessed Thankful Thursday, my friend!

Joyfull said...

Thank you for sharing the beautiful blessings of your family. How refreshing to see a thankful heart!

Patricia said...

Laurie Ann, you are a wonderful teacher. I never leave a visit on your blog without learning a great lesson. You exemplify grace (evidenced by your relationships and descriptions of them).

Thank you for giving me a gracious gift to think about today.

Typing One-Handed

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your thankfulness! Congratulations on your new grandson!!!

Oh, I love the colors of your blog and thank you for visiting me today.

~Mrs.Cuddles

Marsha said...

Laurie Ann, this post tickled me! Such joy and gratitude. And what a relationship with the "wife-in-law"!
Have a blessed day!

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

You humble me in that you include the wife-in-law (husband's ex-wife) in the line-up. As a fellow-2nd wife, I've got much work to do!
:-)
Beautiful lesson on grace.
OH, wait -- that's what I need here for aforementioned ex-wife.
God Bless YOU!
Happy Thankful Thursday!
-es

Tonya said...

Thanks for stopping by yesterday and for the comment. It's SO NICE to meet you!

Congrats on the new baby! I wish you all well. =-)

HAPPY "TT" to, You!

bp said...

Congrats on the new baby to your family! What a special blessing for you all.

Michele Williams said...

So glad the new baby and mother are doing so well. Blessings to you and your family.

LauraLee Shaw said...

Oh, how I love the sound of grace too. I cherish it as well. Beautiful post, and I stand thankful with you.

Darlene said...

Great list of thanks! Congrats on the new baby and so glad Mom is doing good.
Thanks for sharing,
Darlene

Anonymous said...

I pray your Dad can get on his new mower soon! It's great that he is feeling better.

The blessing of a Grandson, what a beautiful thing to be thankful for this week! It's great to hear things were a bit easier for your daughter this time around too!

Such a beautiful thank you list and I loved the definition of Grace you found as well! It's so true!

Toknowhim said...

Thanks for visiting today.. Blessing to you... You have much to be thankful for :)

God Chaser said...

A very nice list of thanks. May God continue to give you many reasons to give thanks. Be blessed

Anonymous said...

God is truly awesome for the blessings He gave you. truly wonderful! take care, laurie ann.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to comment twice on the same post. I just wanted to thank you for your sweet words on my TT post.

Blessings,
Susan