Wednesday, October 01, 2008

IPOP31 Bible Study Part 3 - The True Woman of Proverbs 31


Amy writes, "All throughout the bible there are many scriptures that enforce the majority of the lines of scripture in Proverbs 31 BUT... the similar scriptures are not just for women. They are intended for the entire body of Christ. The bride of Christ."


How did I not realize this before? It makes perfect sense to me. All the attributes have always seemed perfect to me, unattainable. One day, though, we will be made perfect in the image of Christ, when we are called home to Heaven, and we, as His bride, will honor Him with these attributes.

Just as our desire is to please our husband, our desire is also to please God, as Amy pointed out in Genesis 3:16. She asked that we let God speak to us as we studied this verse in the Blue Letter Bible concordance.

"Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire [shall be] to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee." ~ Genesis 3:16 (Emphasis, mine)

Desire caught my attention. The Hebrew transliterated word is tĕshuwqah. The root word means "in the original sense of stretching out after." That's my desire, not only for my husband, but more so for Christ!

The second point Amy made that stuck out to me was, "She has a pure heart. God sees a clear distinction between a person's actions and the person's heart."

"She has a pure heart. God sees a clear distinction between a person's actions and the person's heart." ~ 1 Samuel 16:7 (Emphasis, mine)

I looked up countenance and heart in the Blue Letter Bible and found countenance to mean sight, appearance, vision. Heart means 1) inner man, mind, will, heart, soul, understanding a) inner part, midst 1) midst (of things) 2) heart (of man) 3) soul, heart (of man) 4) mind, knowledge, thinking, reflection, memory 5) inclination, resolution, determination (of will)
6) conscience 7) heart (of moral character) 8) as seat of appetites 9) as seat of emotions and passions 10) as seat of courage

I'm so glad God looks at the heart and not at the countenance!

Amy wrote, "No matter how many steps you take away from God it only takes one step to come back. Ask God to purge your heart and begin restoring you."

That's balm to my soul. As I read Acts 8:1-24, about Saul's persecution of the church and it's scattering, I was reminded that there are times I have taken steps away from God out of persecution of non-believers, though not to the extent Amy probably had, and how I changed to fit a mold I thought would be more pleasing. I prayed that God would change one person's heart, not only because I did covet her for Christ, but because I wanted this person's approval and friendship. God, however, saw that I had a double motive, and eventually we parted company. She has gone from athiest to agnostic, last I heard. God looked at my heart and saw what it really intended and I believe the seeds I thought I was sowing fell on a very hard heart. I have, as Amy suggested, asked God to purge my heart and restore me. Now that I have done that, I will begin praying that someone with a pure heart step in and present the gospel to her with pure motives and that she is saved one day.

The third point Amy made really hit home, "She fills her heart with God's word and praise to her King and He will give her the desires of her heart. The desires He placed within her."

God has changed the desires of my heart. By actively seeking and obeying Him, He has granted many of the desires of my heart. I have claimed this verse as my own.

"He settles the barren woman in her home as a happy mother of children. Praise the LORD. ~ Psalm 113:9

Go here to read the whole story on that subject... http://magnoliaheartbeats.blogspot.com/2008/08/in-other-words-give-me-hand-dear-lord-i.html My soul is satisfied!

Words of Amy in blue....

Focused Thoughts:

  • The spiritual aspect of Proverbs 31 is that this woman is a description of the bride of Christ.

  • She has a pure heart. God sees a clear distinction between a person's actions and the person's heart.

  • She fills her heart with God's word and praise to her King and He will gives her the desires of her heart. The desires He placed within her.

Scripture for Memory:

And ye shall seek me, and find [me], when ye shall search for me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13

Write It Down (or post it):

Be sure to record your revelation and thoughts in your bible, notebook, or let us all share in what you are learning and write a post about it and link it here!

Done - see above

Share with us what God has revealed to you when were seeking Him. Again, I'll post my own thoughts and notes later in the week.

Done - see above.


For Study Purposes:

Find other scriptures that are similar to particular verses in Proverbs 31.

" A wife of noble character is her husband's crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones." ~ Proverbs 12:4

"For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands," ~ 1 Peter 3:5

"And she said unto her servants, Go on before me; behold, I come after you. But she told not her husband Nabal." ~ 1 Samuel 25:19

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you," ~ 1 Thessalonians 4:11

"They sailed to Ophir and brought back 420 talents of gold, which they delivered to King Solomon." ~ 1 Kings 9:28

"Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed." ~ Mark 1:35

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field." ~ Matthew 13:44

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power" ~ Ephesians 6:10

"The wise, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps." ~ Matthew 25:4

"Every skilled woman spun with her hands and brought what she had spun—blue, purple or scarlet yarn or fine linen." ~ Exodus 35:25

"He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward him for what he has done." ~ Proverbs 19:17

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze." ~ Isaiah 43:2

"For Aaron and his sons, they made tunics of fine linen—the work of a weaver-" ~ Exodus 39:27

"A wife of noble character is her husband's crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones." ~ Proverbs 12:4

"One of those listening was a woman named Lydia, a dealer in purple cloth from the city of Thyatira, who was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to respond to Paul's message." ~ Acts 16:14

"I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." ~ Isaiah 61:10

"The mouth of the righteous man utters wisdom, and his tongue speaks what is just." ~ Psalm 37:30

"The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down." ~ Proverbs 14:1

"As a young man marries a maiden, so will your sons marry you; as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so will your God rejoice over you." ~ Isaiah 62:5

"and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless." ~ Ephesians 5:27

"His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation." ~ Luke 1:50

"Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them." ~ Matthew 7:20

Give an explanation as to why it is important that you don't compare yourself to other women.

I think we are all so unique, gifted with different abilities and talents, and when we want to be "what she is" we are diminishing ourselves in God's eyes.

Find one scripture that gives an example of God restoring someone.

"Once more Jesus put his hands on the man's eyes. Then his eyes were opened, his sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly." ~ Mark 8:25

Questions to ponder:

What are the desires of your heart? If you wrote a similar poem today what would it consist of. Share it with us.

The desires of my heart are simple. I ask that God grant me the ability to honor Him in all I do and not bring dishonor to His name ever. I ask that He maintain the health of my family and heal those who are hurting.

My Poem

I will bring honor and glory to You

In times of sadness and joy

No matter what I desire

I will trust You to fufill

Each request, according to Your will

(don't ya'll laugh! I am *so* not a poet! Amy, give us an acrostic for next week, LOL!!)

4 comments:

Leaon Mary said...

Hey Laurie Ann,

I really enjoyed reading what you thought and where the Lord directed you through this past week's study!
I tell ya, doing this lesson this morning helped my heart SO MUCH!
From other things going on around me I felt like I was nearly drowning. Proverbs 31 absolutely drew me back in to where God wanted me to "be."
I'm thankful!
Lea

Denise said...

Beautiful thoughts.

Amico Dio said...

Oh, Laurie Ann! I was beaming as I read your words. It is so evident that the anointing of God is all over you. He has so much in store for you. This was such a blessing to read!

"I think we are all so unique, gifted with different abilities and talents, and when we want to be "what she is" we are diminishing ourselves in God's eyes."

How true is this? When I read it I remembered some words God gave me a couple of years ago called Masterpiece.

We are His masterpiece.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your heart.

Elaine H