Wednesday, October 15, 2008


Welcome to Thankful Thursday, hosted by Iris of Grace Alone... please visit her blog and join in this wonderful meme.

This week's theme is joy. Iris chose a wonderful verse.


“And now my head shall be lifted up above my enemies all around me, and I will offer in his tent sacrifices with shouts of joy; I will sing and make melody to the Lord.” ~ Psalm 27:6 (ESV ~ emphasis Iris')

The joys of my week include....

Going to the doctor on Monday and getting a shot and some good meds that have me on the mend. Although I am still rattling and coughing, I do feel better! Unfortunately, I have shared it with Steve, who called the doctor today and is now on antibiotics.

Liam's (my newborn grandson) jaundice level is down to a 9 - he's getting rid of it on his own and he's gained 2 oz. so he weighs a whopping 5.5 lbs.

Nolan, my 13 month old grandson, remembers his Nonnie. When I talked to him on the phone (I haven't been around him since the day after Liam was born because I've had The Plague) yesterday, Kristyn said he smiled and danced.

My grandmother, in her Alzheimer's had a moment of lucidity and commented that we will have 2 new babies at Christmas this year.
My husband's telescope came in yesterday and he got it all assembled with very little trouble. Pictures this weekend!

I got started back on my Quiet Time this morning. I neglected the Lord while I was sick except for some sporadic prayers. I fell out of the habit of doing daily devotions and I missed it so much. My cup overflowed as I filled up on His Word and His forgiveness.

Steve woke up early and we had time to go to breakfast together before work. That was great!

I started back to work today after being sick. Working for the state has definite bonuses when it comes to being sick. Leave is a wonderful thing to have, and excellent co-workers and supervisors who understand are awesome!

My cousin Brooke's MRI showed some worsening of her moya-moya, and she'll have to go back to a neurosurgeon (she had brain surgery 10 years ago) for a consult. We are finding joy that she's done well this long and continues to hang in there by God's strength. She also has rhematoid arthritis and had a huge hole repaired in her heart not too long before the brain surgery. She's 21 years old and is a trooper!

I got a comment from Lysa TerKeurst on one of my blog posts from today! That made my day! She's a busy woman, and to know that she takes the time to visit the blogs of those who visit her is humbling and precious to me.
I was honored and humbled by two awards from dear friends Twinkle Mom of Sunflower Faith and Denise of Shortybear's Place. I love them both dearly and am so grateful for their sweet awards.

Blogging - I love it. My heart beats to serve Christ and I can see yours does, too, in the posts that I read. I love reading your blogs and your comments on mine always bring me joy.

I could go on and on, praising the Lord! When I first started typing this post, I thought, what joy have I had this week? I've been sick, I haven't seen my week old grandson since he was 2 days old, my new nephew either, and I'm sad about those things, but truly the joy of the Lord has been my strength, even when I didn't realize I had it in me earlier this week!
When you start praising God, all the bad just seems to go away!
What are you Thankful for this Thursday?

Blessings & Love,


31 comments:

i said...

Sorry to hear you've been unwell. Hope you'll be as right as rain soon. Happy TT!

Susan said...

Wow, what an awesome post.

I was so sorry to read you were not feeling well Laurie.

I'm so behind on checking up on my wonderful blogging friends.

I'm blessed the baby is doing well.

I'll keep your cousin Brooke in prayer, so sorry to read this news.

Hope you have a blessed TT♥

LAURIE said...

Oh my you have so much to be joyful this week even though it seems like things were against you when your week started but here you are giving praise where praise is due. God is good to us and His blessings are everywhere, thanks for sharing your grateful heart with us Laurie Ann. Glad to hear you are on the mend, and may you be able to hold that new grandbaby very very soon! -Blessings, Laurie

heidi said...

WOW! SO much to be thankful for! I am thankful that the Lord is shining His favor down upon you.

Anonymous said...

i can relate to doing some sporadic prayer. i felt guilty for not spending time with HIM.

God bless you, laurie ann.

Anonymous said...

How inspiring it is for you to write such an awesome list when you haven't been feeling well. The true meaning of being thankful.

Anonymous said...

These are just an awesome list! I hope you feel well very soon! God bless!

Mine is posted HERE. Happy TT!~

Denise said...

I love you, and appreciate your thankful heart through everything.

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

You joyful thing you! I love reading your heart my friend. I am so glad you are feeling better.
Hugs to you!
Kim

Unknown said...

Laurie Ann, so glad you are feeling better. Congrats on the awards!

Praying with you for your 21 yr old cousin!

In His amazing grace,
Jill

Unknown said...

"When you start praising God, all the bad just seems to go away" what joy that brings to my heart! Blessings to you and glad you are feeling better!

Debra Kaye said...

Laurie Ann,

My sweet sister,

What a precious, thankful heart you have! Thank you for sharing it with us today.

Blessings to you today!!

Melanie said...

Good Morning, Laurie Ann. I so hope that you are starting to feel better as the week progresses!

In spite of that, though, you show that there is still so much for which to be thankful. I just love your kind, thankful heart. Blessing to you today, my friend!

Beth K. Vogt said...

So thankful you are feeling better! Take your meds, rest, drink plenty of fluids...oh, my! I sound like a mom!
Have a blessed day, sweetie!
Beth@TheAccidentalPharisee

Anonymous said...

How neat to get a comment from Lysa!

Jerralea said...

Great TT post! It's great that even when you feel unwell, you can find things to be thankful for!

Congrats on the comment from Lysa!

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love visitors!

Chocolate and Coffee said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my site today. You have a great post today. I am sorry that you have been sick. I will keep you in my prayers. I have been dealing with bronchitis for 4 weeks and am now on my second prescription of antibiotics.

Blessings to you!

Anonymous said...

As I was reading your post, I noticed the little things. The little things mean soo much, don't they??Whether it is a familiar voice or alone/quiet time-- it's truly something to be thankful for.

Happy Thursday!

Patricia said...

Laurie Ann, I'm so glad you're feel better. I loved reading your TT post today. It was like getting an update on a friend's family.

I look forward to reading your description of getting to see your grandsons again. My parents were stationed in Japan ( with the USMC) when my oldest daughter was born. She was their first grandchild. They got to meet her when she was a month old. My dad gave my mom and sisters the first day to get to hold and spoil her.

Meanwhile, he decided since he wasn't allergic to poison ivy, he'd clean out under some trees along our property line. Ooops! Guess what? He was no longer immune. He didn't get to touch our daughter at all that visit. We didn't get to see them again till we went to their North Carolina home...four months later.

Thanks for reviving precious memories of family reunions and our sweet daughter's first year. She's now 24 and the mother of my little Dynamo. P.S. My parents retired about 8 miles from where we live and help out with watching the little man whenever needed. Grands & Great-grandkids keep one young!!

Happy Thursday!

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

I so enjoy reading about all the "little " things in which we can find joy and thankfulness. A telescope! Neat!
...isn't it amazing how God shows us the "little" things if we just spend more time with Him alone - away from the little things? They are all the more precious!
...God has been good to you! Thank you for sharing.
...and thank you for the Friendship award. Never know quite what to say. How'bout, THANK YOU, FRIEND! My heart beats too in cold Minnesota (we have no Magnolias - we do have mums!) to spread GOD's Word via the blog!
Happy Thursday!

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said...

Isn't it awesome how God can do all those wonderful things in just a week's time- even though you haven't been feeling well I admire that you are stilling looking for the way's God is working in your life. Blessings!

Michele Williams said...

Such a heartfelt list. Thank you so much for sharing. I pray you are feeling well soon with all that medicine in you now. Blessings!

Mary said...

A beautiful thankful list. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Congratulations on the 2 babies for Christmas. Liam's jaundice will disappear before you know it. When my grandon had it as an infant we were told to lie him in a sunny spot for a few minutes each day. Believe it or not, it works.

Blessings,
Mary

Debbie Petras said...

You've have lots for which to be thankful. Isn't it great to have a day to focus on this? I love it and am thankful for Iris.

This is my first visit to your blog and I love your design and of course, your words of encouragement. I love Lysa TerKeurst too. She was our keynote speaker this year and I had the pleasure of taking her and Holly Good around town in Phoenix. They were a joy to spend time with.

bp said...

Hello. It was nice to read your list of thanks. I am glad you are on the mend.

Alex said...

Such a beautiful & honest list this week. Thank you so much for sharing. I hope you are feeling better soon. Blessings

Marsha said...

I'm so glad you are better and the grandbaby is getting better! Wonderful news on both fronts.

I'll be praying for Brooke. So much infirmity for someone so young. Bless her heart.

God Chaser said...

Good to hear you are feeling better and that even when life is not right where we want it to be with God there is still much to be joyful. be blessed

LauraLee Shaw said...

Have prayed and will continue to pray for a full recovery.

On a side note, do you mind being my "Lifesong in the Limelight" on Saturday? If you'd rather do a different week, it's not a problem. I'm late in asking...just lemme know if you feel up to it...

;)

Sai Hijara - Ferraris said...

Glad to hear you are better and is back to work now...

So many delightful news there about your grandchildren and gandma...

Holding you and your family in my prayers...

Have a blessed day!

Anonymous said...

Sorry that you've been sick....but am glad that you're feeling better now. Brooke sounds like an amazing girl! Prayers for everyone.