Wednesday, October 22, 2008


David did not build his trust on the strengths he had at his disposal. Back in the day, chariots and horses were used in battle and were also a mode of transportation. They were symbolic of strength. David knew of a Strength greater than all the strengths of chariots and horses. He trusted in the Name of the Lord His God.
We have many sources of strength in this world we live in. We find strength in our homes, families and friends, the church, our leaders, jobs, etc. We are, for the most part, confident our troops can defend us if we ever go to war. We are confident that our dollars will buy what we need and want. We trust that the air we breathe is clean, that the rain that falls is pure, and the freedoms we have are secure.
All these can be gone in an instant. Homes can be destroyed by fire, tornadoes, hurricanes, or other horrendous acts. Our families and friends can move away or die, leaving us lonely. Our troops may come up against forces stronger than they and perish. The dollar we have in our pocket at night may be as worthless as the paper it is written on when the stock market opens the next morning. Our air can become polluted, rain can contain contaminates or be accompanied by sleet or hail and ruin crops. Our freedom can fall as fast as a vote is cast in congress and signed off on by the governor or president of our state or nation.
Believe it or not, I am a glass half-full person. I'm positive by nature and don't expect any turmoil to rock my world anytime soon. I pray the things I mentioned above don't happen...but it could. And some of it already has. The moral decline of our country concerns me greatly, as does the economy and the election coming up soon. I'm concerned, but I do not worry.
I rest secure that my trust is in the Lord, who will provide. That's Who my biggest trust lies in - the Lord. I love how He is faithful, no matter what the state of the world or state of my life is. He is constant. His love never changes and His provisions are guaranteed through the grace He gave us through His Son.

I love to trust in His Name. He is a God with many names...

Here are just a few...

Adonai-Jehovah -- The Lord our Sovereign

El-Elyon -- The Lord Most High

El-Olam -- The Everlasting God

El-Shaddai -- The God Who is Sufficient for the Needs of His People

Jehovah-Elohim -- The Eternal Creator

Jehovah-Jireh -- The Lord our Provider

Jehovah-Nissi -- The Lord our Banner

Jehovah-Ropheka -- The Lord our Healer

Jehovah-Shalom -- The Lord our Peace

Jehovah-Tsidkenu -- The Lord our Righteousness

Jehovah-Mekaddishkem -- The Lord our Sanctifier

Jehovah-Sabaoth -- The Lord of Hosts

Jehovah-Shammah -- The Lord is Present

Jehovah-Rohi -- The Lord our Shepherd

Jehovah-Hoseenu -- The Lord our Maker

Jehovah-Eloheenu -- The Lord our God

"Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you." ~ Psalm 9:10 (NIV)

"Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name; worship the LORD in the splendor of his holiness." ~ Psalm 29:2 (NIV)

"Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that confess his name." ~ Hebrews 13:15 (NIV)

What are some of your favorite names of God? How has He shown Himself to you by revealing Himself through the power of His Name? And oh, what a sweet Name He has! It is to be trusted, worshiped and revered.

For more Word-Filled Wednesday, click on the button below.





25 comments:

Denise said...

Amen, beautiful.

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Wonderful Wonderful post my friend. We have a big poster with all the names of Jesus on it. I love looking at it.
You are a blessing!

LAURIE said...

Great post today! There is power in the NAME of Jesus.

LauraLee Shaw said...

Powerful post because there is so much power in His name. I have always counted on Him as my Counselor and my Need-Meeter, as well as my Restorer, Redeemer, Savior and Friend...above all, He has been my only Father my whole life. He has saved my life from a long line of strongholds and sins passed down, and it still amazes me that He would care enough to do so. To think He loves us all THAT much! Wowzer.

Anonymous said...

hi Laurie Ann,
I was just thinking of this verse this week. I like how you illustrated it!!

Jen said...

Great post! I love reading the names of Jesus.

Debra Kaye said...

Laurie Ann,

My son has a poster with all of the names of Jesus on it. It is awesome!

This is a timely post, my friend.
Blessings to you today.

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Great post! Yes, I too am concerned, but not worried. May the Lord bless you and your family.

Chelle said...

Good word today! And, I love that you included the various names of God, so very powerful!!!

Melanie said...

Once again, Laurie Ann, you have written such a beautiful post.

I am so very thankful that we can rest secure knowing we can trust in the Lord. One of my favorite names for God is El-Shaddai -- the God Who is sufficient for the People. What more do we need when we have God?

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

My favorite name is Jehovah RAPHA - Healer!
Our GOD can/will HEAL! Nothing and No person is beyond the touch of His Healing Hand.

I'm a glass half-full too. Although, I sometimes thing that'd be hard to distill from my blog. :-) But discernment makes me horrified over the moral decline of our country. It concerns me greatly -- as does the economy the election, etc...
I do worry - because (if JESUS doesn't not return soon) I have children who will grow up in this mess. :-(

Mokihana said...

Fabulous!! Thank you for sharing. Love the Clydesdales and your names for our God... wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post! We are so blessed to have a God we can trust in completely. I love the name Emmanuel, meaning God is with us. That's a great comfort to know that God is with us always.

Unknown said...

Awesome post Laurie Anne!

Our God is an awesome GOD! Whose name is above all others!

He is my Rock, Strong Tower, Restorer, Redeemer, Savior, LORD, KING, my Daddy, my Abba Father! My very best friend!

Blessings to you sweet Sister!
Love,
Jill

~Amy~ said...

That was a great post thanks for sharing it with us at WFW

Rebecca said...

I love the photo you put with that verse! Clever. And I was so blessed just reading through the list of the names for God and realizing how He has been each to me.

Something I just learned about the names given to God are the differences of the ones we read in our Bible: "Lord" emphasizes God's lordship and His position as Master, "LORD" (all caps) is the Hebrew for YHWH and emphasizes His position as covenant maker and keeper, "God" is Hebrew for Elohim and emphasizes His position as universal Creator.

I put these on a bookmark to reference when I'm reading. It's amazing the new meaning a verse can take on just by knowing the meaning of the name being used!

Blessings, Rebecca

Leaon Mary said...

Hey Laurie Ann,
How awesome to add the names of God.
Wish I could see that poster at Debras' house too! Really neat.
El-Elyon- THE LORD MOST HIGH*
Lea

Kristi said...

Fantastic WFW. And the pictures of the Grands...adorable!

Tracy said...

Beautiful, powerful, amazing! Thank you for sharing this fantastic WFW post - it is my absolute favorite this week! Blessings!

Laurie said...

Thank you. It's been so easy recently to let my thoughts settle on all the things going wrong - although I know that the Lord is Most High above it all, it's still important to have the reminder to look up.

Tracy said...

What a beautiful and encouraging reminder when circumstances around us can look so unsettling. Two of my favorite names of God...First, Emmanuel -- God with us and second, Abba -- Father. I also love Jehovah Shalom...praise Him for His sweet peace!

Thank you for this post!

Blessings,
Tracy

Peggy said...

Blessings Laurie Ann...You touched my soft spot...horses & God's names! I read this earlier and thought about all you gave us to think about & how mighty & precious
is His Name!

I love what Tracy chose especially Emmanuel/Shalom but since she has those I will choose:
1st Jehovah Rapha since I've been praying for those 4 kids with cancer...and He meets me each day with His Healing! & Jehovah Nissi because I recently read that besides being The Lord, My banner~ it is also The Lord My Miracle and I am believing for miracles for Leslie, Nick, Jordan & Abby!

2nd~ Jehovah Raah or Rohi or Ro'eh
The Lord my Shepherd since He leads me daily near still waters when I meet with Him & He refreshes me. I really need a Shepherd daily...to feed me & lead me, hopefully I'm not that lost..I read that rea is friend or companion, which is the intimacy God desires, and I with Him & came to depend upon...Raah as The Lord my Friend.

3rd~ My Protector, My Shield but since I could not remember the Hebrew/Greek or maybe there isn't one...I will choose another new one for me Jehovah Perazim: The Lord my breakthrough as a flood...open the doors of heaven and pour out Your Spirit on US!

Thank you for again providing such thought provoking and excellent inspirational teachings! Love the Clyesdales and the "chariot"...
great photo & verse, with all the power in His Name. Trusting in Him!
Hope you enjoyed WFW! & picked up your 4 blessings from me though I'm sure you have them, add from me!

Michele Williams said...

Awesome post! There is power in His name! Amen!

Toia said...

There's power in Jesus' names. They way I see it there's no excuse for not calling on Jesus. He has so many names....all you have to do pick is one or two and call it out loud. One call...that's all. Have bless one.

God Chaser said...

Beautiful