Wednesday, October 22, 2008


“Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.”~ Colossians 3:16 (ESV ~ emphasis Iris')

Iris is thankful for friendships this week. I, too, am grateful for the precious gift of friends.

Friends helpd me make it through a journey through the desert. I have been miserable from October 8 through I'd say about Sunday with The Cold That Turned Into a Sinus Infection With a Hint of Bronchitis and Two Ear Infections. On top of that, I have a mild case of thrush. My friends listened to me whine appropriately and covered me with prayer.

They knew I was miserable, not only because of The Plague, but also because I couldn't see the new grandbaby while I was sick. And since I shared the love bug with Steve, he couldn't see them either. That was remedied Monday night. (You can see pics by clicking here!)

I was also miserable because during my time of illness, I became spiritually parched. Not completely dried out, because I have soaked up so much of the Word this last year, but enough that the fruit was kind of wilting. I got back into a daily routine of quiet time with the Lord and am now completely saturated. In fact, my cup runneth over. My friends encouraged me and never belittled me. They understood and admonished me to do what I needed to do - spend that time with God - in a loving way.

In other words, they taught and admonished me with wisdom.

Friends like that are good to have!

What is the biblical definition of a friend? From what I gather...

"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. This is my command: Love each other." ~ John 15:9-17 (NIV)

F - Friendship is all about love.

R - Relationships take time to develop.

I - Intimate friendships are a gift from God.

E - Everyone needs a friend.

N - Never pass up the opportunity to make a new friend.

D - Define the level of friendships in your life in a healthy manner; some will be closer than others.

S - Sacrifice is necessary in friendships.

H - Husbands should be our main "best friends". (Next to Jesus, of course!)

I - Influence your friends by living a life that is pleasing to God.

P - Pray daily for your friends.

Father, thank You for being my Friend. You are my trusted advisor and counselor. I praise You for the gift of the friendships I have here on earth, my circle of friends I see on a daily basis, those in the WOW Gals Groups, and the blogging sisters I have bonded so closely with. I pray that You would deepen my relationships with my friends that I'm just getting to know and help me to love them with the love You have for them. Give us a bond that speaks to the unity we find in You, oh Lord. Father, I praise You for the friendship I have with my husband. It is my most cherished one here on earth. He is an awesome friend, Lord.

For more Thankful Thursday blessings, visit Iris at Grace Alone. I guarantee you will be blessed by this meme. It's a wonderful ministry.




35 comments:

LAURIE said...

Good godly friendships are indeed a blessing!! Hope you are on your way to being completely well! -Blessings, Laurie

Denise said...

I am blessed by your friendship, I love you.

Unknown said...

Oh Laurie Ann,

This is just and awesome post. I loved reading every word. Neat acrostic. and your prayer. I am touched. Girl, I am hoping to spend more time with you and grow our eternal friendship.

Thank you for sharing such great wisdom and encouragement. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

What I wonderful post. I especially love the way you broke friendship down letter by letter.

Anonymous said...

love what you wrote about FRIENDSHIP. God bless you, laurie ann. ♥

Grammy said...

This is my first time on thankful Thursday. I very much enjoyed your post.
Friends are very important to me too.

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

I'm sad that you had The Plaque for so long. But friends will always help pull us through even if it is just to hear us whine a bit lol.
Hugs to you.(From a distance lol)

He & Me + 3 said...

So glad that you are feeling better, & thankful that you had such great friends to be there for you when you were not well. That is just awesome!

Anonymous said...

I must have picked up where you left off. I've got some nasty sinus thing going on. The really bad thing -- we think it may be connected to our furnace! YIKES! The days when the furnace doesn't run, I seem to be fine. Get that furnace running, and suddenly, I have itchy, watery eyes, sneezing fits, and can't stop blowing my nose. On those days, once I leave the house, I am fine. Go figure. (sigh)

Debra Kaye said...

Laurie Ann,

I'm glad you're better and so glad friends were there to make you feel better.

Blessings to you this TT!

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful post Laurie Ann!

I'm thankful you are feeling better!

I'm thankful that God blesses us with His friends! I'm thankful He shares all that He has and more!

In His amazing grace,
Jill

Mindy said...

Your friendship and your wonderful posts are always a blessing to me!

Anonymous said...

I Pray for your complete recovery and see your grandson. Congratulations Grandma. Have a Blessed Thursday.

Jerralea said...

I loved your acrostic and your point that husbands should be our best friend. It's a good reminder!

Thanks for coming by and reading about my friend. I so enjoy the Thankful Thursday posts.

Melanie said...

Oh, yes... friendships are such a special, special blessing from God! I'm thankful he has blessed me with your friendship.

Happy Thankful Thursday!

Anonymous said...

I love your F-R-I-E-N-D-S-H-I-P!

Tracy said...

This was lovely! What a great Thankful Thursday Post. I particularly liked the FRIENDSHIP acrostic - thanks for sharing! Blessings!

Tammy said...

Thank you for stopping by on this TT! Sorry you were sick but what a blessing to be surrounded by Godly friends. I agree with you about your hubby - my dh is my best friend. I am so thankful for his friendship...next to the Lord's of course ;-).

Blessings,
Tammy @ http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/mominmi

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

Yea! for the H- Husbands! MINE is the greatest friend I've ever had outside of JESUS!

I've thought of you often the last few days with your illness(es).

Your time in God's Word -- and the reflection of it on your blog -- gives you such a blessed perspective on the trials of physical suffering. You are a blessing to your readers -- I mean FRIENDS!

Happy Thankful Thursday!

Crystal said...

Beautiful post. Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Happy TT!
Crystal

Heather said...

Oh, I'm sorry you had such a bad cold. I have a tendency to get the cold that turns into the sinus infection/ear infection too. No fun! And I know all about letting those quiet moments alone with God slide by...glad you're back on track!

Leaon Mary said...

Pssst Hey Laurie Ann,
Beautiful post on FRIENDSHIP... and I like how you wrote out FRIENDS too!
Pray you get all better really soon! I got tickled that you shared the LOVEBUG with your HUBBY. LOL
But i know it must have been hard having to stay away from the new grand. so GET HEALTHY N STAY HEALTHY K?
HUGS, AND FRIENDSHIP,
Lea

Jennifer said...

Beautiful post! Friends are truly a blessing that we sometimes take foregranted.

Happy TT! I enjoyed your post!

Unknown said...

Isn't it great to have friends who love you even when you feel crummy, look crummy and sound crummy! They make you feel so much better! Blessings!

A Stone Gatherer said...

I love that acroymnyn(?)! did I spell that right! Friends are a wonderful gift from God! Especially those that comfort you and speak truth to you!

Michele Williams said...

Friendship is special. I love the way you "spelled" friendship... love it.... You are so special my friend.

Unknown said...

I love the acrostic! Godly friends are such a blessing and treasure. Thanks for sharing your thankfulness and the reminder to me to be thankful for my godly friends.

Have a blessed day! And thanks so much for visiting me today!

Denise said...

Come by my blog, there are some awards for you sweetie.

4 Lettre Words said...

Beautiful post! Glad you are feeling better!

Speaking from the Heart said...

May you continue to feel better. I felt peace comes over me, as I read your post on friendship.

Anonymous said...

get well fully, friends really a gift from God.Bless them. thanks for visiting my site and for the comfort shown.Happy TT!:)

Anonymous said...

Am glad for friendship too - offline or online. :-)

I'm glad you're feeling better enough to have a cute baby in the arms. :-)

bp said...

I liked the acrostic (is that the word for it?) you included for Friendship. That is nice. Did you make it up?

God bless you. Off to see the pictures now!

God Chaser said...

A very loving post about friendship. your prayer was touching may I be friend to al who cross my path. Thanks

Beth K. Vogt said...

I love your FRIEND acronym.
And I so hope you are all better!
Beth@TheAccidentalPharisee