Monday, October 06, 2008

Keepers at Home
Join us At the Well to discuss today's topic, Keepers at Home.
"to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God." ~ Titus 2:5 (Emphasis, mine)
Working outside the home leaves little time to be a keeper inside the home. I speak from experience! How do I make the most of being a keeper of my home? Ack! I need help. I will be doing a lot of listening today, moreso than speaking.
I know that it honors God for us to keep our homes neat and tidy. It makes for a more relaxing enviornment for our husbands, it's more inviting to guests, and it's sanitary.
While you won't find me nestled in the pages of Southern Living or Better Homes and Garden, and you're more likely to find Martha Stewart fainting at my house rather than sitting upright and enjoying a glass of sweet tea, you also won't find complete and utter chaos there.
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." ~ Colossians 3:23-24
Love lives in our home, and that tidies it up more than any decluttering or scrubbing ever could. But there is work to be done in the house, and it must be done, indeed.
The lexicon at http://www.blueletterbible.org/ for the phrase keeper at home from Titus 2:5 said this:
1) caring for the house, working at home
a) the (watch or) keeper of the house
b) keeping at home and taking care of household affairs
c) a domestic
Do you keep a neat and tidy home?
For the most part. There is always room for improvement in my book.
If so, what do you do to keep on top of this? Schedules? Routines?
Steve and I tag team on this. Both of us work outside the home, so both of us work inside the home. It works for us. Staying on top of it, picking up behind ourselves, helps tremendously.
If you have children at home, do they get involved?
Our nest is empty; however, when Kristyn was growing up, she had chores that were suited to her age. I wanted her to learn what keeping house meant, and I also needed her help. She was a great helper! Sometimes, in her teen year, she waited until the last minute to get it done, but she always came through!
If you are lacking in this area, why do you think that is?
Working outside the home. It's hard to put in my 9 hours here and go home and constantly clean. The secret is to stay on top of it.
Besides keeping my home tidy, I am to actually care for our home. I do. I love my home and I don't take it for granted. I keep watch over it and the affairs of the house. I guard what comes into my home and manage the affairs of the home to the best of my ability.
I am not perfect, but things do get done. I could do better, and I'm looking forward to listening to ya'll this morning as we chat about this At the Well. Chelsey, at Joyfully Living for His Glory, is hosting. Be sure to visit her and see what she and the others have to say about this subject.
Also, please be in prayer for Kristyn. She is at the hospital now - going to have the baby Liam almost one month early!

11 comments:

Joyfull said...

Thank you for sharing. I only work part time and can certainly understand working full time and the challenges the time factor brings to cleaning. Loved your thoughts on caring, watching and loving your home. That brings a warmth, love and peace that no amount of scrubbing can!

Darlene said...

I agree with you...I am not perfect but things do get done. I try to keep things picked up...and it is so much easier now that we don't have so much running to do with school activities. I do miss this too.
My house is staying clean of course there is no one home but me through the week. So, this makes it easy...but so boring. LOL
Thanks for sharing...
Darlene

Nicole said...

I am always challenged when others talk about keeping a home tidy. I have not been this person before. Although, we just bought a house and my desire is to become more like this Titus woman. Although, I may not "get" it right away I know I will eventually. Jesus, I need your help!

Prayin for Kristyn and baby Liam!

Love,
Nicole

Melanie said...

I loved reading your thoughts on this subject, Laurie Ann. It IS hard when you work outside the home, but so worth it. My husband also helps out alot so that does make it easier.

So excited about baby Liam! Can't wait to hear more once he's here and you have a chance to share with us!

Debra Kaye said...

Laurie Ann,

Beautiful post...a warmth, love and peace that no scrubbing can bring is precious.

I love your sweet heart. Praying for Kristyn and baby Liam. Blessings to you today, sweet sister.

Denise said...

Great post sweetie.

Sunny Shell said...

Laurie Ann,

You said:
"I am to actually care for our home. I do. I love my home and I don't take it for granted. I keep watch over it and the affairs of the house. I guard what comes into my home and manage the affairs of the home to the best of my ability. "

I think this is truly the most important part. I think if we all did this, that our homes would naturally end up being tidy, just b/c our minds are set this way!

Thank you so much for the encouragement!

Bless you sister!
Sunny

LAURIE said...

Oh...I am praying for the new addition - how exciting!

Thanks for sharing your heart about keeping the home with us today. May God bless you as you encourage Kristyn...

Susan said...

Hey Laurie Ann,

Wow, you are so funny! I'm sure your house is very nice. You do everything with so much love.

Wow, I can't believe the baby is about to be born! I'll be praying for a safe delivery and a HEALTHY baby.

Keep us posted!!!

By the way, I'm having a give a way, come by when you get a chance~

Anonymous said...

"Love lives in our home, and that tidies it up more than any decluttering or scrubbing ever could. But there is work to be done in the house, and it must be done, indeed."


I love that :) It was a Martha moment for me. It's important to tend to things, but equally important to tend to those we love :)

Mindy said...

When I worked full-time and had two young school-age kids, I knew I coudn't do it all, so I really considered what was important to me, and made sure the kids and family time came first, then must do chores like laundry and such, and we did a lot of team work with those. The house was never perfectly clean (unless it was my day off and they were in school!). That was when I started praying for the Lord to help me find a way to be home full-time.