Tuesday, November 04, 2008



Welcome to In Other Words Tuesday. Our hostess today is Karen, from In Love W.I.T.H. Jesus. She has chosen the followin Scripture, appropriate for today, to write about. Please be sure to visit her blog, and see what she and the others have had to say about this topic. I encourage you to think about this Scripture and to write about it, too! Link up so we can read all about it. Here are my thoughts...

“Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.”2 Corinthians 3:17 (NKJV).
Today is an important day - it's Election Day! Please pause and pray throughout the day for those who are voting. Just as your vote counts, so does theirs. Please pray that they follow the prompting of the Holy Spirit as they vote, and that they vote.
In the United States of America, we have the freedom to vote. It's a form of the liberty we live under according to the laws of this great country. And I believe it's not only a freedom, but a duty, and further, a privelege.

The Greek word for liberty used here is eleutheria, a rather hard word to pronounce, which means:

1) liberty to do or to omit things having no relationship to salvation
2) fancied liberty
a) licence, the liberty to do as one pleases

3) true liberty is living as we should not as we please
The third definition captured my attention: True liberty is living as we should, not as we please.

Do we live as we should, and not as we please? I think about the earthly pleasures we have at our disposal and realize that we are called to something higher. Indeed, it is to be our way of life as Christians. Paul wrote about this in his first letter to the Thessalonians.
"For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. Therefore, he who rejects this instruction does not reject man but God, who gives you his Holy Spirit. Now about brotherly love we do not need to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love each other. And in fact, you do love all the brothers throughout Macedonia. Yet we urge you, brothers, to do so more and more. Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody." ~ 1 Thessalonians 4:7-12

Many of us are concerned about the outcome of the election. Indeed, some of us are distressed. As we live our lives in the way Christ intended, we will find the true Spirit of liberty. Not just regarding the election, but in other matters as well.

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." ~ John 16:33 (NIV)

The Greek word for trouble in this verse is thlipsis, which means:

1) a pressing, pressing together, pressure
2) metaph. oppression, affliction, tribulation, distress, straits,

Let's throw off the feelings of of discouragement and distress and proclaim the true Spirit of liberty in the way we live our lives. Let's live according to God's standards, pure, holy, in brotherly love, continuing on with our lives, doing the work God has called us to do. Let's lead our quiet lives, mind our own business, and continue to work with our hands, so that we can win the respect of outsiders with our lifestyle of love in Christ. Let's focus our dependence on Christ, not on the man elected as the President of this country.

"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone - for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior," ~ 1 Timothy 2:1-3 (NIV)

While we are called to pray for those in authority, with prayer, intercession, even thanksgiving, let's continue to remember that whatever the outcome, remember, this world is not our home.

"But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ," ~ Philippians 3:20 (NIV)

Whether or not we are at peace with the outcome of the election, let's rejoice in the liberty we have to vote, continue to live our lives in ways that are pleasing to God, and pray for our future President and others we are electing today.

Most of all, let's rest with the assurance God gave through the prophet Jeremiah.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." ~ Jeremiah 29:11-13


15 comments:

Denise said...

Bless you dear.

Miriam Pauline said...

Thank you Laurie Ann. This is an encouraging post in uncertain times. Bless you.

Anonymous said...

What an encouraging post. I enjoyed reading your perspective on the verse today.

Unknown said...

Laurie Ann,
You know what story I thought of when I read this? I thought of Abraham asking God if he would spare Sodom and Gomorrah for the righteous and God said, "yes" he would. This comforts me as I think of our nation, so full of people who don't love God. I'm thankful that God is merciful and loving and does consider those who seek to love and serve him.

Thanks for your encouraging words today.

Lynnette :)

Unknown said...

That third definition jumped out at me, as well. Living how we should not as we please, and that's it in a nutshell, isn't it?

As far as the election goes, I'm a lot more distressed by the behavior of those on both extremes than the actual outcome. It makes me sad. And it has brought me to my knees.

Thanks, Laurie Ann.

AVA

Karen said...

I like the definition you gave of liberty is living as we should not as we want. Thanks for sharing today it was great.

Betsy Markman said...

Thank you for your encouragement!

Abigail Kraft said...

Laurie Ann,
I have been encouraged many times by those verses in Jeremiah. What a beautiful reminder that God is always in control and His plans are always for our benefit...to give us a hope and a future.

In His arms,
--Abigail

Tracy said...

Amen Laurie Ann!

Great and encouraging reminder today. I do indeed rejoice in the liberty that is ours. There is truly much peace and comfort from the knowledge God is in control of the outcome.

Blessings,
Tracy

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

EXCELLENT Scriptures for today!
I always appreciate how you bring out the true meaning of the Greek (or Hebrew) meaning of the words. (I'd spend all day doing this if I had the time!)
:-)
Many other verses came to mind as I read your post. But in context of today -- GOD is in control ultimately regardless of who wins a presidential election in the U.S.A.
We CAN live in peace in a troubled world. HE does hear our prayers - AND ultimatly, we are citizens of heaven!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing. With you, I am thankful our citizenship is indeed in heaven, though we may have temporary uncertainty, we have so much to look forward to. :)

I enjoyed, once again, coming to your lovely blog. :)

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

P.S.

:-)

Susan said...

Wow, this was so good and uplifting for today.

I love the scripture you ended with. Our hope, our future.

Blessings Laurie Ann♥

Jenifer said...

Praise the Lord- He is in control of all things. Great words for today.

Blessings,
Jenifer

Patti said...

My favorite verse with regard to our nation is 2 Chronicles 7:14, "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and will heal their land."

God's blessings begin with the repentance and prayers of His people.

Oh, may we seek His face.

Blessings,
Patti