Monday, November 03, 2008

Prayer Request for Steve

The University of Wisconsin has contacted Steve to fill out a survey regarding Tourette's Syndrome. They are conducting a study on deep brain stimulation.
DBS is approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treatment of Parkinson’s disease, and other diseases and is relatively new to the field of the possiblity of helping those wtih Tourette's. It involves the surgical implantation of electrodes in the brain and pulse generators in the upper chest just beneath the collarbones. This would affect the chemicals and receptors that cause tics.
If it works, his quality of life regarding tics would be greatly affected for the better. If it doesn't work, well, I'm not sure if it can be undone - seems like it could, but I'm not sure how easily or at what cost, health-wise. As you can see, I still have lots of research to do on this. It's widely accepted as a treatment for Parkinson's, not so sure about TS.

If the University of Wisconsin accepts him, since this is a study, it would be free. Drawbacks include financial aspects of travel and of course, the effect it might have on the Tourette's. Sometimes we wonder if it's best to let sleeping dogs lie, but the possiblity of the improvement over the tics is encouraging.

Steve's Tourette's is not as severe as many patients, so he might not even be considered.
Either way, pray God's will be done in this and that we heed God's will to either do it, if he's accepted, or not do it, if it's something that will not be a change for the better. There are risks involved, of course.

6 comments:

Melanie said...

Praying as I type....

momstheword said...

I will pray, thank you for sharing.

Denise said...

I will be lifting him way up in my prayers sweet friend.

Jennifer said...

You and your family will be in my prayers concerning this situation and these new avenues that need exploring. May His will be done.

Marsha said...

Praying for wisdom.

Addicted to Beadz said...

Hey Laurie Ann,

I will definetly pray.

I can check, if you like, I can contact one of my docs I used to work for. They are neurologist and may know something about this.
Love,
Cheryl